Updated: Feb 13
Step by step instructions on replacing lost OCI card
Before a lost OCI card can be replaced, Applicants should file a police report. To apply for a replacement OCI Card, applicants will have to provide a copy of the complaint filed with the police. oIn some cases a notarized self-written affidavit that explains the circumstances of how the card was lost may be accepted.
Generally most consular officials will want a police report copy and whether an official accepts an affidavit or not depends on the circumstances.A personal interview with the applicant may need to be conducted at the Indian Consulate or FRRO if applicant in India.
Kindly Note: These days with identity theft a major concern. Since the OCI card is a booklet with your passport information, to prevent misuse of your identity, it is always a prudent step to file a police report and get a copy of such a report.
Procedure to apply for a replacement OCI card
1. Applications for replacement of lost OCI card are made using the OCI Miscellaneous Services website1.Visit the OCI Misc Services website https://passport.gov.in/oci/
2. Select the ‘Click Here To Proceed’ button
3. Select OCI Miscellaneous Services from the menu
4. Answer the simple question correctly and click ‘Enter’ to go the next page
5. Before you can access the OCI replacement form, you will need to provide: Your Passport Number (This should be the same passport number shown on your OCI card)
oFill in ONE of the following:
▪U-Visa number or
▪OCI Registration number or
▪OCI File numberoFill in ONE of the following as recorded in the OCI registration certificate / U-Visa
▪Date pf birth or
If the above information is entered correctly, then you will have access to the misc services online form. Select the appropriate service required (i.e. Replacement of lost/damaged OCI card).
6. After you have selected the service required the Online Registration Form will be displayed to avail the requested service. Enter all the information required on the form and submit online.
7. After submission online, a copy of the application showing a reference number and instructions for filling the application form will be shown. Print and sign the form when you have completed all the entries.
8. Finally you will need to submit the printed form and all documents required as shown on the form along with a passport size photo and fee to the competent authority such as the Indian consulate or the applicable outsourcing company. Applicants in India should submit the form & documents to Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO) applicable to their area. oFee for replacement of OCI documents in case of loss or damage is currently US$100/- or equivalent in local currency. In India the fee is currently Rupees 5,500/-
9. In case of loss/damage of OCI documents, the issuance of new documents are generally approved only after a personal interview. After the documents submitted are received by the authorities, you will be notified by them of the date and time set for a personal interview.
10. Generally the time-frame for this process is about 30 days or so from the time the mailed hard copy of the application is received by the authorities. In case where new OCI documents are applied for due to damage of documents, then the damaged documents are required to be surrendered when being replaced.
Update: A copy of the police complaint showing loss/theft of OCI documents/Passport etc. is now required. A personal interview with the individual applying for replacement of OCI in case of loss or damage of their documents is also mandatory now.